Food as Medicine: Free Monthly Mobile Produce Market
Lynn Community Health Center has entered into a partnership with the Greater Boston Food Bank to bring fresh fruits and vegetables to our community through a free monthly produce distribution.
- About 350 families come to each market!
- We need about 30 volunteers each month to distribute the food!
- Volunteers arrive 1 hour before the market opens to help set up for a three-hour commitment: 8:00-9:00 Setup, 9:00-10:00 Market is open. 10:00-11:00 Cleanup
- This is a great opportunitiy for families to volunteer together, but children under 16 should come with an adult.
- 1 in 5 Lynn residents are food insecure
- Food insecure households are at higher risk of chronic disease (obesity/HTN/Diabetes)
- 76% of Lynn Public School students are eligible for free/ reduced lunch (130%/185% FPL)
- Hunger affects ability for children to learn
- Lynn is one of 10 cities in MA with the biggest grocery access problems (Boston Globe 5/2/17)
When and Where?
Typically* the 1st Saturday of each month from 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. at the parking lot of 73 Buffum Street.
*When the first Saturday falls on a holiday weekend, the Market will be rescheduled for later in the month.
How does it work?
- The Greater Boston Food Bank truck delivers pallets of produce
- Volunteers unpack the produce, package it in family sized portions, and distribute to families.
- Average amount of produces each month = about 25 pounds
- Households must register to receive food (one time only). There is no income requirement.
- Anyone, including LCHC staff and volunteers, can register to get food. Patients at LCHC can register during a medical or behavioral health appointment. Anyone can visit our WIC office at 20 Central Avenue during business hours to register.