The Reception/Appointment Clerk is responsible for greeting patients in a friendly and professional manner and helping them to receive the services that they need. Duties include answering telephones, taking accurate and complete messages for other staff, scheduling appointments, record-keeping, recording accurate billing information for patients, and daily billing to third party payor.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Schedule provider and student appointments via computer scheduling system, keeping schedules accurate and full. Anticipates changes based on student schedules and is proactive in seeking out information related to possible scheduling changes.
- Continually monitor appointment schedule, acknowledge appointments, and communicate with other staff regarding cancels, no-shows, and late arriving patients.
- Greet and assist patients, with an emphasis on positive customer service.
- Answer phones, take accurate, complete messages, deliver promptly to appropriate staff.
- Translate for patients as needed.
- Make reminder calls to patients about upcoming appointments and/or to reschedule appointments.
- Collect accurate co pays from patients before appointment begins and post to ledger according to payment collection procedure.
- Assist patients with insurance problems/questions with the assistance of health center enrollment coordinators.
- Collect accurate insurance information, enter charges, referrals, verify eligibility with payor and/or benefit coverage.
- Monitor waiting room to insure patients are being taken care of in a timely manner.
- Assist in office duties such as duplicating, faxing, filing, supply ordering/inventory and other office duties as needed.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Attend all departmental and Center-wide meetings.
- Perform additional, related duties as assigned by supervisor related to the smooth functioning of the Eye Clinic.
Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments in person and/or over the telephone.
Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/Khmer and English preferred
- Computer proficiency preferred. Knowledge of professional office practices is needed.
- Must be comfortable in a medical environment and able to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Excellent communication skills, professional demeanor, and good judgment are all required.
- Prior experience in a eye clinic or other medical office is desired.
- Knowledge of vision terminology, an understanding of Medicaid, Medicare, and health insurance systems preferred.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended.
- All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
JOB POSTING ID: 20-009