Reporting to the Associate Dental Director, the CDA Dental Operations Infection Control Assistant is responsible for coordinating the clinical area and assisting the dentist in the delivery of dental patient care of pediatric, adolescent and adult patients by assisting with chair side procedures, including radiology, sterilization, infection control, medical records, maintenance, inventory and performing the BORID approved delegated dental procedures on patients under the appropriate supervision. He/she is responsible for establishing a system for coordinating, ordering and maintaining records for the health center’s dental clinical supplies, x-ray badges, MSDS and equipment needed in the dental department. The Dental Assistant profession is regulated by the Massachusetts Board of Dentistry.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist in the operation of the Dental Clinic by practicing in accordance with applicable protocols.
2. Prepare patient and patient’s records for provider; this includes seating the patient and laying out the patient’s chart, reviewing complete dentrix chart and x-rays. Taking blood pressure and pulse as necessary.
3. Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
4. Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental procedure, such us the placement of a restoration (filling)
5. Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
6. Make entries and complete procedures notes on the patient chart in dentrix as directed by the provider
7. Assist the provider by passing instruments and materials as directed in all dental specialties, including pediatric dentistry, periodontics and oral surgery.
8. Maintain treatment areas in a sanitary manner. This includes removing used instruments, refilling necessary supplies, cleaning the chair, table and dental equipment, following the CDC guidelines for dental offices.
9. Maintain a sterile field, preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment, operate an autoclave, run the biological testing and keep all the sterilization logs.
10. Expose, process, and mount in the correct order the digital X-Rays in the dentrix image software.
11. Maintain supplies in the workroom, laboratory and storage room.
12. Attend all departmental and Center-wide meetings.
13. Consult and collaborate with other Health Center staff as appropriate.
14. Participate in the formulation and evaluation of applicable protocols.
15. Participate in quality improvement activities by the Dental Program and/or the Health Center or as required by a funding or regulatory agency.
16. Participate in on-site and off-site continuing education programs and in-service training, to maintain license and to meet the needs of the people.
17. Perform additional, related duties as assigned by supervisor.
18. Assist the Office Manager with administrative/clerical front desk responsibilities, aid in efficient appointment scheduling and in contacting and confirming appointments with clients, as necessary.
CDA Dental Operational Infection Control Assistant extra responsibilities:
- Coordinate the development of tracking systems relative to requests, usage, maintenance, and storage of supplies and equipment.
- Monitor utilization of supplies, maintain records of all stock dental medications to assure adequacy of stock supplies in assigned clinical and storage areas.
- Inform the Associate Dental Director of changes in requests and/or usage patterns to assure budgetary
- compliance, adequacy of in-stock medications, equipment, and/or supplies.
- Assist with logistics in the event of drug recalls.
- Monitor the x-rays badges and the dental MSDS.
- CDA Dental Operations Infection Control Assistant
- Manage sterilization procedures, weekly review of all sterilization logs and maintenance of dental infection control records for JCAHO.
- Assist in mentoring new Dental Assistants in the sterilization procedures.
- Serves on the Infection Control Committee.
Delegated Procedures (234CMR Board of Registration):
- Remove temporary restorations with hand instruments
- Place and remove wedges
- Place and remove matrix bands
- Place gingival retraction cord
- Apply anticariogenic agents
- Cement and remove temporary crowns and bridges
- Insert and /or perform minor adjustment of athletic mouth guard and custom fluoride trays
- Polish teeth after dentist or dental hygienist has determined that teeth are free of calculus.
- Place and remove surgical dressing
- Performed pulp testing
- Select and try stainless steel crowns or other pre-formed crown for insertion by dentist.
- Apply dental sealants
Graduate of an accredited training program for dental assistants or equivalent experience in a dental office and the certification by the Dental Assisting National Board, Inc (DANB) required.
Pass with 75% or higher the LCHC Clinical competency examination required.
Infection Control for Dentistry Certificate by the MSC.
Strong verbal communications skills (ability to deal effectively with patients) required.
Bi-lingual in Spanish/Khmer and English preferred.
History of good attendance and positive work attitude.
Previous clinical and administrative experience in office practice setting preferred
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID : 21-091