- The Applications Trainer trains clinical staff in the most efficient and effective use of the OCHIN Epic EMR application
- S/he has a minimum of two years of experience working in a training environment, conducting training and ideally, understanding and prior experience with the Epic suite of applications. A clinical background is a strong plus.
- The Applications Trainer is responsible for identifying group and individual training needs and developing training plans and programs designed to address business needs. S/he schedules and conducts training sessions across multiple functional areas and performs necessary follow-up review to ensure efficiency of training efforts.
This role requires a high energy, motivated teacher and mentor, who is excited to teach and learn. S/he has experience developing and implementing a training program for all levels of clinical and support staff. S/he is familiar with clinical workflows, and has a strong clinical background, whether through a professional degree or with years of healthcare training experience.
- The Applications Trainer is responsible for developing and implementing a training program to ensure that clinical and support staff are using the applications in a manner consistent with the business needs of the health center.
- S/he will be familiar with Meaningful Use and regulatory requirements, and will work with committees to implement, train and follow up workflows that have been vetted. The trainer will develop and support ongoing super user training as a supplement to the formal training program, ensuring that super users are supported and following the appropriate workflows as developed and agreed to by the designated committees.
- S/he will work closely with Human Resources, Compliance and IT to conduct audits of open and closed records for completeness, and to identify gaps where remediation and/or additional training is required.
Ability to clearly communicate in written and verbal formats, comfortable with public speaking
Familiarity with adult learner principles and techniques, including the ability to choose appropriate training methods per case (simulations, 1:1, web-based tools, etc)
Use accepted education principles and track new training methods and techniques
Prior knowledge of principles and practices of human resources preferred
Medium proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
Ability to work alone or with a team on a broad variety of tasks
Ability to prioritize, keep meticulous records, attention to detail, follow up and tact
1. Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information
2. Treat all patients, staff and team members in a welcoming and professional manner
3. Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude and behavior Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining a positive and open attitude.
4. Welcome new employees to the team by assisting with their orientation and mentoring them, as needed
Specific Responsibilities and Duties: (including but not limited to)
1. Maintain updated curriculum and training records
2. Contribute creative ideas for change and improvement in content and delivery, with the creativity to configure and design training modules
3. Develop and deliver instructor-led classroom training and online training
4. Design/develop and prepare courses, course outlines, job aids, and other training materials as part of the curriculum; coordinate with other staff, as applicable
5. Create learning objectives meeting the identified training needs and plan the training evaluation to measure the success of the training.
6. Assess instructional effectiveness and summarize evaluation reports determining the impact of training on employee skills and how it affects KPIs
7. Conducts computer training needs assessment by collecting information pertaining to work procedures, work flow, and reports; understanding job-specific functions and tasks, identifies skills or knowledge gaps that need to be addressed
8. Conduct progress reports by tracking and communicating both attendance and performance concerns, and give appropriate knowledge assessments as required during new hire training period
9. Conduct “reach out” sessions to previous trainees to monitor and assist in their continual progress
10. Serves as a departmental liaison between the employee and departmental leaders while training
11. Communicates with supporting departments Management Staff to ensure consistency of processes/procedures
12. Attend meetings, seminars, training programs, professional organizations, etc. to keep informed on new developments, methods, and techniques in the field of training
13. Become a subject matter expert in other software applications in use at the health center as the training program expands
14. Ability to develop and manage a training team as the training program expands
15. May require off hours work for special projects
16. Will attend Epic and OCHIN Epic conferences and training sessions, as needed (Some travel involved)
17. Will keep up with industry standards in training methods, and in Healthcare HIT changes, including regulatory requirements
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with EHR users, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
Experience and Qualifications
- Relevant training experience in healthcare applications, specifically Epic Ambulatory and Practice Management; Bachelors Degree in healthcare or education preferred
- Minimum 2 years experience developing and implementing a training program for healthcare applications, preferably Epic
- Must possess excellent communications skills, both verbal and written
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude
1. Always provides proper notification and advance notice of absences.
2. Reports to work on time each day and after lunch and break periods.
3. Maintains a well-groomed appropriate appearance.
4. Maintains a clean, well-kept work area.
5. Employs strong system thinking approach to their work.
6. Involved with, or member of, professional organization(s) allowing ability to keep up with industry knowledge.
Health Center Requirements:
1. Up to date immunizations, annual TB testing
2. Hepatitis B and flu vaccines are strongly recommended
3. Results of CORI (Criminal Offender Record Investigation) must be acceptable under health center standards
4. Demonstrate excellent customer service skills and successfully complete annual Customer Service training module online
5. Appropriately handle or seek support when customer service breakdown occurs
6. Demonstrate knowledge of cultural diversity and successfully complete annual Cultural Competence training module online
7. Respond appropriately or seek support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts
8. Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule
9. Understand that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- This position requires the ability and means to travel to various locations across the city of Lynn. Must provide proof of automobile insurance with limits that meet or exceed State of Massachusetts requirements.
- Body position: Sitting, standing, bending, reaching, stretching, stooping and lifting.
- Body movements: Must have ability to bend, stoop, twist and work with computer equipment. May involve lifting at least 30 pounds of equipment. May involve sitting for long periods of time, or moving about the health center locations.
- Body senses: Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare and communicate appropriate documents.
- Language: Must read and write English above a high school level. Must be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. Additional language, especially Spanish, helpful.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID# 19-213