Nutritionist: Provide routine nutrition care to high risk participants under the supervision of the Senior Nutritionist at various WIC sites and LCHC.
Breastfeeding Coordinator: Responsible for the planning, provision and evaluation of breastfeeding promotion and support activities. Position is in addition to regular duties of WIC Nutrition staff member. Approximately 2 hours per week plus to be allotted out of regular schedule, with additional time given for special projects such as annual World Breastfeeding Week.
- Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunizations and annual TB testing is required.
- Annual flu immunization is strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic health information.
- Treat all patients and fellow staff in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude and behavior within the department setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees and students to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
NUTRITIONIST DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs nutrition assesment and certification, counseling, nutrition education and referrals for WIC applicants and participants.
- Develops educational materials for demonstrations, audio-visual presentations or other educational activities for participants.
- Collects anthropometric and hematological data.
- Assists in training paraprofessional WIC staff, agency staff and health care providers.
- Participates in quality assurance activities.
- Provides follow-up nutrition education.
- Participates in nutrition inservices and in policy-making staff meetings.
- Participates in outreach activities including presentations.
- Communicates with health care community on issues pertaining to participant needs.
- Performs other duties as required, including daily peer review, co-signing and special assignments.
BREASTFEEDING COORDINATOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develops breastfeeding protocols for standards of service.
- Oversees development, implementation and evaluation of local program breastfeeding activities, such as participant education classes, breastfeeding support groups, and breastfeeding contacts for prenatal and breastfeeding women and infants.
- Assists Senior Nutritionist in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Program.
- Identifies and coordinates with community breastfeeding resources for appropriate breastfeeding referrals.
- Keep current with the latest breastfeeding information and informs staff of new recommendations.
- Trains staff regarding breastfeeding and peer counseling issues.
- Ensures appropriate breastfeeding materials are available to nutrition and breastfeeding peer counselors for participant education. Provides breastfeeding/peer counseling updates to staff at monthly staff meeting.
- Attends quarterly Breastfeeding Promotion Task Force Meetings and, as determined by the Senior Nutritionist, other meetings and trainings pertinent to breastfeeding and peer counseling.
- Conducts annual World Breastfeeding Week activities.
- Performs, collaborates on and contributes to breastfeeding/nutrition trainings for health and human service professionals in community.
- Collaborates with local health care professionals in breastfeeding promotion and support activities including annual World Breastfeeding Week activities.
- Uses state and local program reports and other data to set goals for nutrition and peer counselors to increase breastfeeding rates. Works to achieve state- and program-set breastfeeding goals, including (but not limited to) breastfeeding rate at 3-months, 6-months and 1 year; breastfeeding initiation rate, etc.
- Monitors peer counselor activities. Maintains log of contacts or peer counselors and conducts monthly quality assurance activities to ensure services are provided and provided in a prescribed way. Breastfeeding Coordinator will submit monthly quality assurance findings (including peer counselor logs) to Senior Nutritionist. Will also track quality assurance activities over time.
- Provides up-to-date breastfeeding group schedules to counseling and program staff.
- Submits monthly Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Report, Mid-Year and End-of-Year Breastfeeding Coordinator Reports to WIC State Office.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training and ACES Training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural bias or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health nutrition, nutrition, food and nutrition; R.D. preferred.
- Bilingual helpful.
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making capabilities.
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude.
- Excellent communications skills and interpersonal skills.
- Prioritization and organizational skills.
- Sensitivity to the multi-cultural needs of the client population.
- Must be available to work at multiple sites, Saturdays, and during evening hours.
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid Massachusetts driver’s license.
- Breastfeeding Coordinator must be a Senior Nutritionist or Program Nutritionist
- Motivated to promote breastfeeding.
- Certification as a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), Lactation Counselor (CLC) or other lactation specialist desired. Must obtain minimum breastfeeding credential (CLC or CPE) within one year of hire as Breastfeeding Coordinator.
- One year experience in clinical or community nutrition.
- One year of experience counseling breastfeeding women.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID# 18-175