*Please note this position is grant funded through the Rize Grant*
The RN Harm Reduction Care Manager is a compassionate and self-motivated individual who embraces the mission of homeless healthcare and is committed to delivering high quality nursing care in a low-threshold community environment.
The purpose of this position is to provide in-the-moment, low-threshold medical access to patients who live in the shelters and streets of Lynn. In instances of sedation, the Harm Reduction RN Case Manager will ensure that sedated patients are triaged and safely monitored in a supportive and compassionate environment. The Harm Reduction RN Case Manager will initiate referrals and/or appointments for further care to be provided in the appropriate locations. The services provided will include: clinical assessments, RN case management, buprenorphine induction, and follow up, medical monitoring, administration of Vivatrol and linkages to addiction treatment and primary care.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participation as a member of the patients’ care team.
- Attends daily team huddles when in clinic.
- Attends clinic staff meetings and team break- out sessions.
- Participates in ongoing clinical quality improvement endeavors.
- Participates in identification of, and care planning for, high risk/enhanced care patients.
-Direct Nursing Care:
- Direct nursing care to ensure that all needs of the patients are met, conforming to established policies and procedures, as well as Department of Public Health regulations
- Performs primary care nursing services to clients staying at the Recuperative Care Center.
- Non-judgmental clinical support for patients who are overly sedated to prevent overdose.
- Accurate assessment of sedation and documentation
- Supportive engagement of patients with substance uses disorder in a manner consistent with Harm
- Reduction Principles and provides risk reduction counseling and connection to treatment programs.
- Responsible for updating and maintaining accurate treatment records, flow sheets and other documentation
- Maintains a direct line of communication with LCHC RCC medical staff
- Maintains a professional approach
- Maintains the standards of accurate and complete recording and reporting ensuring that the clinical record for each patient is current and accurate
Team Based Collaboration:
- Functions as part of a team that includes the Street team nurse practitioner, case manager, recovery coach and patient care coordinator.
- Based on the needs of the Program, may be required to be available for other shifts as needed
- Comfortable with street- based practice and outreach to mobile sites.
- Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed to meet program needs, at the discretion of the Director of Nursing
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that to respond promptly and appropriately to emergency situations, any staff member may be assigned to duties which differ from those in the job description or may be assigned temporarily to a different location.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- Commonwealth of Massachusetts RN license.
- 2-3 years of previous experience in community health center or primary care experience preferred.
- Strong medical/surgical assessment skills.
- Self-directed, motivated and flexible with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Interest in public health, primary and preventive nursing/medicine.
- Interest in working with underserved populations.
- Understanding of substance abuse and mental health issues.
- Knowledge of opioid overdose management and brief interventions
- The essential duties of this position present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids, and blood-borne pathogen. Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required. Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center. A Declination form must be signed if the Hepatitis B or other recommended vaccines are declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting Id #18-109