The Referral Navigator works closely with patients, families, and the care team to ensure timely access to specialty and diagnostic imaging referrals.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees and students to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation on referrals to promote team awareness and ensure patient safety.
- Ensure complete and accurate registration, including patient demographic and current insurance information.
- Assemble information concerning patient’s clinical background and referral needs.
- Per referral guidelines, provide appropriate clinical information to specialist.
- Contact review organizations and insurance companies to ensure prior approval requirements are met.
- Present necessary medical information such as history, diagnosis and prognosis.
- Review details and expectations about the referral with patients.
- Assist patients in problem solving potential issues related to the health care system, financial or social barriers (e.g., request interpreters as appropriate, transportation services or prescription assistance).
- Be the system navigator and point of contact for patients and families, with patients and families having direct access for asking questions and raising concerns. May assume advocate role on the patient’s behalf with the carrier to ensure approval of the necessary supplies/services for the patient in a timely fashion.
- Establish and maintain relationships with identified service providers.
- Ensure that referrals are addressed in a timely manner.
- Remind patients of scheduled appointments, according to patient’s preferences.
- Ensure that patient’s primary care chart is up to date with information on specialist consults, hospitalizations, ER visits and community organization related to their health.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- This position is supervised by the Referrals Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent and have strong organizational skills with demonstrated proficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Office).
- Epic Ambulatory experience is a plus.
- Graduate of a medical secretary program preferred.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) professional demeanor, good problem solving skills, organized and detail-oriented.
- Understanding of Medicare, Medicaid and managed health care plans are necessary qualifications for this position.
- English / Spanish bilingual ability is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a medical office, clinic or hospital with demonstrated attention to detail, preferred.
- Equivalent experience in the field of social services a plus.
- The essential duties of this position may present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids, and blood borne pathogens.
- Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID # 19-046; 19-047