The Reception/Appointment Clerk will accurately perform activities related to the smooth functioning of the Patient Access Support Services Department. He/She is responsible for greeting patients in a friendly and professional manner and helping them to receive the services they need. For patients with appointments, duties include completing initial registration, updating demographic and insurance information at every encounter, generating encounter forms, and alerting clinical staff that the patient is ready. For patients without appointments, ensure that they are able to speak with appropriate clinical staff. He/She is also responsible for answering telephones, taking accurate and complete messages, and helping callers to get the correct information they need. He/She is responsible for making telephone and in-person appointments for patients.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic health information.
- Treat all patients and fellow staff in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude and behavior within the department setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees and students to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Schedule appointments via online scheduling system.
- Verify and update demographic and insurance data in the computer.
- Greet and process patients, with an emphasis on positive customer service.
- Cross-cover other departmental receptionists as necessary.
- Answer phones, take accurate complete messages, and deliver promptly.
- Translate for providers/patients as needed.
- Assist patients with insurance problems/questions with the assistance of enrollment staff
- Continually monitor appointment schedule, acknowledge appointments, and change appointment status for cancels
- Monitor Waiting Room to insure patients are being taken care of in a timely manner.
- Welcome new receptionists/appt. clerks to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them as requested
- Other duties deemed necessary or appropriate by Supervisor in order to ensure efficient flow of patients through the health center
- Attends monthly department meetings.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training and ACES Training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural bias or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/Khmer and English preferred.
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude
- Detail-oriented and thorough.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients of diverse ethnicity.
- Pleasant telephone manner; good memory and patience.
- Ability to be courteous, efficient, effective, and patient under hectic circumstances.
- Previous receptionist and/or secretarial assistant experience in a medical practice setting.
- Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunizations and annual TB testing is required.
- Annual flu immunization is strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID: 19-092; 19-093