The Optician will accurately perform activities related to the smooth functioning of the Eye Care Services team. Reporting to the Director of Optometry, the Optician performs the daily functions of the Optical Service, including selling/ordering/dispensing eyeglasses, customer service, and maintaining an accurate inventory. Additionally the optician may be involved in financial records, collecting and maintaining accurate patient financial, insurance and demographic information. Collaborates with the Eye Care Services Practice Manager, and the health center’s billing and fiscal offices to assure the flow of information needed for third party billing for eyeglasses. Provides a professional environment in the Optical Service by greeting patients, visitors and staff, answering questions and providing assistance. Responsible for optical supply inventory, responds to a variety of insurance questions on Eye Care, and has the ability to verify insurance eligibility for all patients.
Participation in LCHC community outreach efforts may be assigned. This may include serving as a health consultant for the Lynn Public Schools, local day care centers, after school program, day camps or other community related organizations; providing such services as programmatic consultation, preparation/review of health related policies and documentation or participating in health screenings, health education programs or counseling at health fairs and other similar community events.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients and fellow staff in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude and behavior within the department setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude
- Welcome new facility staff to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform daily functions of the Optical Service, including selling, ordering and dispensing eyeglasses, customer service, and maintaining an accurate inventory. Additional responsibilities may include involvement with financial records, collecting and maintaining accurate patient financial, insurance and demographic information.
Collaborate with the Eye Care Services Practice Manager, and the health center’s billing and fiscal offices to assure the flow of information needed for third party billing for eyeglasses.
Optimize patient satisfaction by assisting patients in choosing appropriate eye wear and maintaining patient flow in the Optical Service.
Assist patients in making follow up appointments as needed.
Accurately utilize EPM and EHR systems for scheduling, documentation, reviewing, printing and/or updating patient information etc.
Assist Optometrist with paperwork and/or phone calls as assigned.
Assist in office duties such as duplicating, faxing, filing, supply ordering/inventory and light typing.
Maintains work and reception areas in a clean and orderly manner.
Attend in-service training, team and other appropriate medical, staff and health center meetings.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training and ACES Training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- In order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergency situations, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties which differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a personal emergency plan in place to best respond to his/she job responsibilities should health center emergency arise
- Must possess and maintain updated optician license in accordance with Massachusetts state licensing and examination requirements
- Prior optical experience, experience in receptionist/patient care coordination in a medical practice setting is helpful
- Computer experience and familiarity with Windows 2000, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- ICD-9; CPT knowledge or willingness to be trained.
- Familiarity with minority and culturally diverse populations, health access and social issues required.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish with knowledge of medical or optical terminology preferred
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude
- Previous experience in a community setting with demonstrated attention to detail preferred.
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude.
- The essential job duties of this position present risk of exposure to bodily fluids and blood borne pathogens. Annual attendance at LCHC Bloodborne pathogen training is required. Up to date immunizations and annual TB testing is required. Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended and available at no charge at the Health Center. Declination form must be signed if Hepatitis B vaccine is declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID: 19-039