The HIM Specialist Team Lead, under the supervision of Director of Health Information will assist and support the HIM department team with day to day operational needs of the department. Ensure all HIM workflows are being followed, supporting with release of information, scanning, assisting with training new staff, providing coverage for staff when needed and providing support with issues that may arise or any other activities to maintain a smooth operation of the Health Information Department.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees and students to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishing work priorities and assigning work to staff.
- Acting as a resource to staff to assist with procedural questions and assisting with problem solution.
- Provide customer service for patients, external facilities and staff who present to request information from HIM as needed.
- Assist patients as needed to complete the ROI form as needed.
- Answer phones and voice mails in a timely manner as needed.
- Sort documents from all LCHC sites and categorize appropriately for scanning and indexing through ONBASE.
- Verify all patient identifying information such as name, date of birth and MR number on reports to be indexed match the patient information in the EMR to maintain accuracy of all information indexed in ONBASE/ EMR.
- Verify all reports, documents and correspondence are signed by appropriate clinician or other appropriate individual prior to scanning/indexing.
- Verify legibility (including light/darkness, top or bottom cutoff, fully sideways or upside down, slightly angled, etc.) using “Poor Original Stamp” when appropriate before the report is saved into the ONBASE/ EMR.
- Assign appropriate Document Types to all scanned reports.
- Scan archived records retrieved from storage as needed.
- Route documents to the appropriate clinician for signature as needed.
- Help patients with signing up to OCHIN My Chart (patient portal) and assisting with issues as needed with resetting passwords, providing activation codes and other issues that may arise.
- Checks the fax machine throughout the shift, screening for and processing urgent requests and routing all incoming reports/correspondence to the appropriate department.
- Monitor Lab error queue, verify demographics and link patient, route all medication errors to nurse pool or provider.
- Maintain complete confidentiality of all patients’ medical information.
- Maintain knowledge of any changes to scanning workflows and attend required meetings and trainings.
- Maintain knowledge of release of information rules and regulations by attending appropriate training sessions.
- Attend team meetings and participate in ongoing quality improvement activities.
- Help with covering other staff when needed.
- Perform all and any additional duties as assigned or as needed.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned temporary duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- GED/ High School diploma required.
- Experience in working in Health Information Management preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of laws and regulations in health information.
- Excellent communication /phone skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Physical environment is an office in a health care facility with minimal exposure to injury or hazards.
- Work volume, deadlines and regulatory environment impose a moderate level of stress.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, bend, reach, stoop and walk alternatively throughout the day.
- Must be able to lift and carry up to 20Lbs.
- Eye strain from continued work at the computer screen is at risk.
- Travel between sites if required.
- The essential duties of this position may present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids, and blood borne pathogens.
- Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting Id #18-019