Reporting to the Dental Director, the Dental Assistant is responsible for coordinating the clinical area and assisting the dentist in the delivery of dental patient care of pediatric, adolescent and adult patients by assisting with chair side procedures, including radiology, sterilization, infection control, medical records, maintenance and inventory. The Dental Assistant profession is regulated by the Massachusetts Board of Dentistry.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees and students to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the operation of the Dental Clinic by practicing in accordance with applicable protocols.
- Prepare patient and patient’s records for provider; this includes seating the patient and laying out the patient’s chart, reviewing complete dentrix chart and x-rays. Taking blood pressure and pulse as necessary.
- Helping patients feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment.
- Providing patients with instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental procedure, such us the placement of a restoration (filling)
- Teaching patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health (e.g., tooth brushing, flossing and nutritional counseling)
- Make entries and complete procedures notes on the patient chart in dentrix as directed by the provider
- Assist the provider by passing instruments and materials as directed in all dental specialties, including pediatric dentistry, periodontics and oral surgery.
- Maintain treatment areas in a sanitary manner. This includes removing used instruments, refilling necessary supplies, cleaning the chair, table and dental equipment, following the CDC guidelines for dental offices.
- Maintain a sterile field, preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment, operate an autoclave, run the biological testing and keep all the sterilization logs.
- Expose, process, and mount the digital X-Rays in the correct order in the patient’s chart in the dentrix image software.
- Maintain supplies in the workroom, laboratory and storage room.
- Attend all departmental and Center-wide meetings.
- Consult and collaborate with other Health Center staff as appropriate.
- Participate in the formulation and evaluation of applicable protocols.
- Participate in quality improvement activities by the Dental Program and/or the Health Center or as required by a funding or regulatory agency.
- Participate in on-site and off-site continuing education programs and in-service training, to maintain license and to meet the needs of the people.
- Perform additional, related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Assist the Office Manager with administrative/clerical front desk responsibilities, aid in efficient appointment scheduling and in contacting and confirming appointments with clients, as necessary.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should health center emergency arise.
- Dental Director and Dentists
- Graduate of an accredited training program for dental assistants or equivalent experience in a dental office required.
- Strong verbal communications skills (ability to deal effectively with patients) required.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish/Khmer and English preferred.
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude.
- The essential duties of this position present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids, and blood-borne pathogen.
- Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended.
- All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center.
- A Declination form must be signed if the Hepatitis B or other recommended vaccines are declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID #18-111