The Clinical Assistant will accurately perform activities related to the smooth functioning of the medical team. These activities are generally listed below in the Core, Department specific and Grant related sections of the job description. These duties include: collecting /printing all appropriate data and documents needed to ensure availability of treatment information; preparing and assisting patients to exam rooms; asking initial history questions per E.H.R. template guidelines; taking and recording all vital signs and measurements;, screening for vision and hearing acuity, obtaining specimens; performing all necessary point of care tests , assisting with procedures and interpreting, as requested by the provider and /or supervising nurse.
- Previous medical assisting experience in a community setting with demonstrated attention to detail preferred.
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Optimize patient satisfaction, provider time and exam room utilization by maintaining patient flow, keeping appointments on schedule by alerting provider of patients arrival, reviewing service delivery compared to schedule, and reminding provider of delays.
- Assure efficient patient visit by assuring all appropriate data, documentation, reports and forms are available to the provider prior to the visit.
- Obtain brief history of chief complaint/reason for visit, allergy status and other pertinent information on the appropriate E.H. R. template.
- Perform all vital signs, necessary screenings, measurements and POCT and recording results accurately on the appropriate E.H.R. template.
- Prepare patient for examination by the provider, assisting as needed with undressing, gowning, draping, etc. and preparing the necessary equipment/supplies needed for the exam/procedure.
- Assist provider during and after the exam, including interpreting, labeling and sending specimens to lab, and clearing away instruments etc.
- Assist patient after exam as needed and clean room in preparation for re-use.
- Perform all Point of Care Testing (POCT) competently, in accordance with LCHC Policies and Procedures, recording accurately and informing supervisor immediately of any errors or problems.
- With provider order and under the supervision of the nurse, prepare patient and equipment for nebulizer treatments, observing the patient during the treatment and reporting patient status and/or changes.
- Clean and soak used instruments, in preparation for sterilization.
- Clean and store all equipment used and promptly report any equipment problems to supervisor.
- Assist patients in making follow up appointments as needed.
- Accurately utilize EPM and EHR systems for scheduling, documentation, reviewing, printing and/or updating patient information etc.
- Assist provider and nurse with paperwork and/or phone calls as assigned.
- Keep exam rooms neat and stocked with necessary supplies and educational materials, monitoring supply levels and re-ordering as necessary.
- Attend in-service training, team and other appropriate medical, staff and health center meetings.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates awareness of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergency situations, any staff member may be assigned duties which differ from those in the job description or may be assigned temporarily to a different location.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should health center emergency arise.
- High School Graduate or Equivalent
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude
- Graduate of a Medical Assistant Training Program with a successfully completed externship experience
- Bi-lingual in Spanish /Khmer/Russian with knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Successful Completion of Medical Interpreter Training offered by the health center within 12 months of hire.
- CPR Certification within 6 months of hire.
- Family Planning Training and Certification within 18 months of hire will be offered to Clinical Assistants in good standing and working in an area of need.
- The essential duties of this position present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids and blood-borne pathogen.
- Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center.
- A Declination form must be signed if the Hepatitis B or other recommended vaccines are declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting Number Purple Team # 16-115, OB/GYN # 17-050