*Please note this position is Grant Funded position under the Latent TB testing and treatment Grant*
Act as representative of the TB Clinic, often as the first point of contact for patients. Responsible for scheduling TB clinic appointments and tests, and accurately providing to and obtaining information from patients and providers. Assists in entry and maintenance of patient data. Answer incoming telephone calls from patients in a timely fashion, using the appropriate telephone etiquette. Adhere to departmental service standards related to telephone access to ensure that patients, referring physicians, and others can easily access the TB Clinic by telephone.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Respect and maintain patient confidentiality in all aspects of care including use of electronic information.
- Treat all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrate professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude, and behavior within the clinical setting.
- Contribute to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining an open and positive attitude.
- Welcome new employees to the team by assisting with their orientation to the team and mentoring them, as requested.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Schedule referrals to the TB clinic and TB clinic appointment appointments accurately, in a timely fashion, and accommodating patients’ requests to the extent possible.
- Answer patient telephone calls. Correctly process information for ambulatory appointment scheduling, answer questions, and assist with problem solving. This includes, but is not limited to, inquiries related to the availability of appointments, scheduled appointment dates and times, parking, directions, and general LCHC and Clinic information. If necessary, transfer call to an appropriate person or department to assist the patient.
- Ensure that patients are provided with all necessary pre-visit information and instructions, including a reminder to bring their insurance care and referral (if applicable) to the visit.
- Treat all patients with dignity and professionalism, enhancing their perception of their doctors’ practice.
- Assist with data entry of daily charges, registration edits, taking notes during team meetings, and various consents.
- Relay messages to clinicians and follow-up as indicated appropriate by supervisor.
- If next available appointment exceeds reasonable timeframe, offer to investigate further scheduling option with supervisor. Follow-up with patient and physician as appropriate.
- Work to establish and maintain good relationships with fellow employees.
- Work cooperatively with fellow employees to solve problems and to make the facility function efficiently.
- Assist with preparing records for new patients.
- Assist in sending patient letters
- Assist in data entry as needed
- Keep work areas neat and organized.
- Follows instructions of and assists supervisory staff as required.
- Maintains good communication with and reports problems to supervisor.
- Performs other duties and tasks as requested by supervisors to ensure the efficient overall performance of the facility.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on-line Customer Service training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates knowledge of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergencies, any staff member may be assigned duties that differ from those in the job description, or may be assigned temporarily to a different location or schedule.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should health center emergency arise.
- Must have high school diploma plus medical secretarial training or additional training or relevant experience.
- Must have been previously employed in similar work with the public.
- Must have good communication skills and at least moderate proficiency in keyboard skills.
- Must understand the overall goals and systems of the facility; communicate effectively with a socially diverse group of patients visiting their physicians for problems that may be life threatening, coping with the anxiety and stress often created in such situation; communicate well with a large group of physicians working in a fast-paced and demanding environment; respect the strict confidentiality of medical records and information.
- History of good attendance and positive work attitude
- Must have working familiarity with the computer.
- Previous phone and patient care experience is desired.
- Epic EMR system knowledge preferred. Spanish speakers preferred.
- Must be able to work cooperatively and efficiently with fellow employees to assure efficient operation and quality patient care.
- The essential duties of this position present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids, and blood-borne pathogen. Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required. Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended. All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center. A Declination form must be signed if the Hepatitis B or other recommended vaccines are declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards.
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID # 19-014