The Care Coordinator (CC) is responsible for coordinating a patient’s care into and through the health care system, coordinate patient care services, and serving as an advocate for the patient to ensure completeness and continuity of care. These responsibilities include, but are not limited to, check in and check out functions to ensure the delivery of comprehensive care and continuity of care, scheduling follow-up appointments, working with LCHC referral navigators to ensure the scheduling internal and external referral appointments, coordinating and connecting patients to concrete services, and coordinating population health activities . He/She professionally interacts internally with LCHC providers, support staff, and externally with patients, parents, hospitals, specialty practice and insurance carrier representatives. The CC provide patients with culturally appropriate services depending on individual needs and preferences, including problem-solving within the health center and with other agencies, client support and advocacy, informal encouragement, direct practical assistance, i.e. filling out forms, making appointments, follow-up contact, communication with patient’s primary care or behavioral health providers coordinating/providing interpreter services. The Care Coordinator is expected to recognize barriers to care, informing the appropriate supervisor and provider immediately when such circumstances occur. This fast paced position requires a high level of independence, attention to detail and flexibility.
- Respects and maintains patient confidentiality in all aspects of care, including use of electronic information.
- Treats all patients in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Demonstrates professionalism by appropriate attire, attendance, attitude and behavior within the work setting.
- Contributes to the team effort by supporting all team members and maintaining a positive attitude in the rapid processing of referrals and the smooth functioning of the department.
- Welcomes new employees and students to the team by assisting in their orientation and mentoring them, as requested.
- Maintains a professional environment in a multi-provider, multidiscipline organization.
- Maintains a patient centered environment to ensure patients’ continuity of care; advocate for patients.
- Positive attitude towards co-workers and other health center departments.
- Performs tasks within the scope of secretarial standards.
- Demonstrates characteristics of accountability and responsibility.
- Demonstrates ability to prioritize demands, work with distractions, adapt to change, exercise efficient time management, and work independently.
- Demonstrates good communication skills.
- Maintains appropriate chain of command.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicates effectively and professionally with all individuals internally and externally, including health record documentation.
- Prints daily schedule for team huddles.
- Serves as liaison between LCHC clinical areas, patients and other agencies to ensure continuity of patients’ care.
- Tracks and coordinates the completion of forms.
- Communicates with providers, nurses, parents/patients, agencies regarding form completion.
- Organizes documents/forms for scanning/faxing.
- Utilizes EPM, EHR and NSMC (Salem) system to access/input information.
- Works collaboratively with LCHC Referral Navigator to ensure continuity of care.
- With care team, identifies barriers of care and works to facilitate connections to concrete services to reduce or eliminate barriers to care, including transportation, housing, durable medical equipment, utilities, infant formula, diaper programs, and asthma allergen reduction programs.
- With members of the care team, obtain records needed for care and treatment as part of the pre-visit prep process, including consult notes, immunization records, and diagnostic imaging results.
- With members of the care team, identify and outreach to patient in need of health maintenance as part of a comprehensive panel management process, including breast, cervical, and colon cancer screening.
- With members of the care team, identify and outreach to patients in need of health maintenance as part of a comprehensive disease management process, including diabetes eye and foot exams, spirometry exams for patients with COPD, asthma symptom screening for patients with asthma, and laboratory monitoring for patients with heart failure, diabetes, and hypertension.
- With members of the care team, identify, set, and monitor self-management goals.
- Promote patient self-efficacy by assisting patients enroll and navigate the patient portal.
- Ensure care continuity through a comprehensive patient check-out process including
- Entering patient recall
- Scheduling patient follow up with LCHC medical, mental, behavioral health, dental, vision, and specialty providers, as appropriate
- Connecting patient to LCHC referral navigators for needed referrals and diagnostic imaging scheduling
- Ensures proper use of all office equipment (fax, copier, PC, email, practice management software, printers, phones, voicemail, etc) in accordance with office policy. Maintains proper supplies for its use. Immediately reports any malfunction.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- LCHC CC may serve as back up interpreter for providers/nurses, if certified.
- Assemble patient care documents in need of provider or nurse review/signature.
- May perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Attends meetings and seminars to keep abreast of changing needs within the industry and department.
- Participates in the betterment of the health center through studies and reviews as necessary.
- Goal setting – continually assesses personal, team and organization goals.
- Demonstrates an understanding of customer service principles by successfully completing on line training.
- Utilizes the principles of customer service when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Appropriately handles or seeks support when customer service breakdowns occur.
- Demonstrates awareness of culture by successfully completing the on-line training on Cultural Competence.
- Utilizes an appreciation of and respect for diversity when interacting with patients/clients, team members and staff from other departments.
- Responds appropriately or seeks support when confronted with cultural biases or conflicts.
- Is aware that in order to respond promptly and appropriately to emergency situations, any staff member may be assigned to duties which differ from those in the job description or may be assigned temporarily to a different location.
- Understands that all staff should have a Personal Emergency Plan in place to best respond to his/her job responsibilities should a health center emergency arise.
- The Care Coordinator will possess a high school diploma or equivalent and have strong organizational skills with demonstrated proficiency in computer applications (Microsoft Office).
- Graduate of a medical secretary program, preferred. Associates or Bachelor’s degree is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) professional demeanor, good problem solving skills, organized and detail-oriented
- Understanding of Medicare, Medicaid and managed health care plans are necessary qualifications for this position.
- English / Spanish bilingual ability is preferred.
- Previous experience working in a social services, medical office, clinic, or hospital with demonstrated attention to detail is required.
- The essential duties of this position may present risk of exposure to airborne infection, body fluids, and blood borne pathogens. Annual BBP Training is required.
- Up to date immunization and annual TB testing is required.
- Hepatitis B vaccine and annual flu immunization are strongly recommended.
- All necessary vaccines are available at no charge at the health center. A declination form must be signed if Hepatitis B or other recommended vaccines are declined.
- Results of inquiry to Criminal Offender Record Investigation (CORI) must be acceptable under health center standards
Lynn Community Health Center (LCHC) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, LCHC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. LCHC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of LCHC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Job Posting ID # 18-068 (Sunflower); 18-101